Historic Sites of the Dingle Peninsula
There is evidence as a result of excavations at Ferriter’s Cove near Ballyferriter dating back to the Mesolithic Period C.4000BC that human settlement was on the Dingle Peninsula. There are archaeological sites throughout the region that are of historical interest.
Old Keel Cemetery & Church
Situated on the Castlemaine-Annascaul Road, near Boolteens, can be seen the ruins of an old church. The old graveyard contains the relict upstanding par al remains of the medieval parish church. Keel Church and Graveyard is a protected site, recorded in the Record of Monuments and Places (RMP, KE046-021). (Source Laurence Dunn Archaeology)
Minard Castle is situated on a piece of land stretching out into the sea in the parish of Minard, near Lispole. A considerable portion of the castle remains. Walter Hussey, a Norman who settled in Dingle, had a garrison there in 1641. Colonels Lehunt and Sadler besieged the castle. The castle defenders, being short of ammunition, were forced to use pewter bullets. As soon as the besiegers noticed this, they approached the castle by stealth, placed a charge under it, and blew up a great section. It is interesting to note that the beach near the castle is a natural storm beach, the boulders being thrown up by the sea during storms.
Caherconree (the Kings Table) is named after a stone fort situated two-thirds of the way up. In legend this is the fort of CúRoí mac Daire, hero of Munster, who was able to make it spin around at night to perplex any attackers looking for the entrance.
The best-known story connected with it relates how Cú Chulainn attacked the fort with the aid of Blathnaid, the daughter of the King of Man, whom CúRoí had taken, none too willingly, for his wife. Blathnaid taunted CúRoí that his fort was too small for such a magnificent chieftain as himself, and when the walls were down during the construction of a bigger fort, she poured milk in a stream (now the Finglas River) from Ir. An Fhionnghlaise, (‘the white stream’) as a signal to Cú Chulainn that the moment was right to attack.
The summit is known as Fin Mac Cool’s Table, while a rock feature on the northern ridge connecting to Gearhane is called Fin Mac Cool’s Chair. Caherconree is the second highest mountain in the Slieve Mish area and the 26th highest in Ireland.
Gallarus Oratory is Irelands best preserved and most iconic early Christian Church. Over a thousand years old, this inspiring building constructed entirely from dry stone masonry, is the archaeological and architectural highlight of the Slea Head Drive.
Florence Graham: a 379-ton Liverpool Barque carrying Palm Oil which was bound for Africa from Liverpool.
1865 the Giardiniera, a 400-ton Italian Barque carrying marble boulders and bones was wrecked.
A visit to the Official Dingle Peninsula Directory will give details of more places of interest to see below: